There is a pirate ship in the middle of the lake that you can eat on. And you know that swing ride at 6 Flags for children? Well here, it flies obscenely high. I was too chicken too go on it. Plus, we had just had lunch, and I didn't think it fit to vomit on the greenest country in the EU (although they probably would have appreciated it as fertilizer or something).
Every time I turned on the tv, there was a commercial about how Denmark is the greenest country in the EU. Their CO2 levels have been decreasing as steadily as the city growth has been increasing. This negative correlation is pretty impressive - and in fact, their water is so clean, that they swim in the river that runs through the city.
See that little sectioned off area? There is a diving board and loads of swimmers. I can't imagine people swimming in the middle of the Seine in Paris, or the Hudson in NY. I'm pretty sure that you would die if you tried that. Fish flu perhaps.
The festival was in a town about half an hour away from Copenhagen, called Roskilde. The motto of citizens of Roskilde is "It's not Copenhagen!" We saw Kanye West play the night before we did. That was hilarious. There were hundreds of signs referencing the South Park episode, saying "Gay Fish!" or "I love Fishsticks." Kanye was a bit confused. During the show, he blabbered on a solid 10 minutes about... well I'm not sure. Thus the word blabbering. At one point he made the analogy "Jesus had the Bible and Michael Jackson had the wikipedia, and media.." A poor excuse to use a rhyme I bet he concocted years ago. And then he referenced the "gay fish" signs. Summarizing a rather lengthy monologue, Kanye addressed all the "haters" and said at least they were thinking of him. It reminded me of the saying that there is no bad P.R., which by the way, I completely disgree with. I also disagree that these gay fishsticker carriers were haters - they obviously loved him and thought it was a hilarity to bring them. And how did Kanye even know the signs were there? I wonder who saw them and ran to tell him about them. The show was pretty good aside from the middle monologue.
Our show in Roskilde was amazing. In part, because everyone at that festival was drunk off their ass.. to the max. Possibly also on halucinogens. The size of the festival was astonishing - it was sectioned off into small villages. People camped out there the whole week. The disturbing aspect was the situation of urinals... as in there were none.
The photo to the right shows the piss walls that were everywhere. *Note: Giorgio is merely demonstrating, not using.* They were not limited to the male sex by any means. I have never seen so many people urinating in my life. Even in the art section of the festival, where a long graffitti wall portrayed "modern art," people decided to piss on that too. They pissed on everything - the grounds were limitless. Who needs a wall when you can pee right where you are standing? It was quite disgusting, because people were passed out all over the ground where people had peed. If I were to contract meningitis on the tour, this would be the place.
We went on stage after 2 am. Nine Inch Nails had just finished, and we were the last stage open, so all the drunkards made their way to our show. It was fantastic. We had a huge stage to dance all over, and the crowds on ecstacy and acid were totally blown away by the alien costumes. At the end of the show we had yet another stage invasion. Some people came up to me ( I was wearing the dwarf alien outfit with my arm in a red sock sticking out as a tongue) and kept grabbing me in amazement. It was slightly claustrophobic being jumped by Danish teenagers, so I used my arm/tongue as a weapon and began profusely pinching everyone around me. We broke an amp (so they say). But I say they were just upset because we had a stage invasion.
A produciton manager told us after the show that years ago at Roskilde, there was a terrible incident where some people were trampled to death because of fans pushing forward to the stage. I can definitely understand why they were so angry at us for inciting about 50 people onto the stage... toppling over security on their way.
After the end of the show, the crowd wouldn't leave. They got everyone offstage and granted us an encore. I had already taken off the alien costume and was wearing my alien undergarmets - A green full sleeve/leg leotards with green tennisshoes, and pigtails. Sam started playing again and called us back onstage. Before I knew what was happening, I saw Giorgio run by me in his shorts, topless, waving his t-shirt around like an insane attendee who had escaped from the crowd and made his way on stage like a nudist at a baseball game. Everyone went wild and Sam motioned for me to come on stage too - so I ran on stage in the damn leotard. I've never really had a rush like that before. I'm not sure if it was the thousands of people, my drunken uninhibited dance moves and legkicks, or the green spandex swallowing my body, but it is definitely a moment forever encapsuled in time.
No sleep, went straight to the airport. The last interesting tidbit is their vocabulary for fruit. Appelsin is not apple, it is orange. Aeble is apple.. I asked why the hoohah this happened. The same informative production man told me that Appelsin means literally "Chinese Apple," because the first oranges they ever had in Denmark were imports from China. Good to know.
No comments:
Post a Comment